Rakic dominates Smith to leap ahead in light heavyweight division
Las Vegas, August 30: Aleksandar Rakic leapt forward within the gentle heavyweight department with a dominant win over Anthony Smith in UFC Vegas 8 (sometimes called UFC Battle Night time: Smith vs. Rakic) on the Apex Area in Las Vegas on Saturday (August 29).
In the principle tournament of the evening, quantity Five ranked Anthony Smith and quantity Eight ranked Aleksandar Rakic jockeyed for place within the essential gentle heavyweight ratings.
Tough kicks to the legs have been the recipe for the primary around, and Smith ended up buckling first, which gave Rakic keep an eye on at the flooring. Rakic got here out with the similar recreation plan in rounds two and 3: throw a couple of devastating leg kicks and smother at the flooring. It used to be a dominant efficiency which used to be mirrored by way of the judges at the rating playing cards.
Rakic commented, “It feels superb. My first leading tournament and within the battle capital, I had a large number of power as a result of many of us from my house have been looking at and supporting me. The power is off my shoulders and I am pleased with my efficiency towards a veteran and previous identify challenger. You recognize what is subsequent. The belt is subsequent.”
Within the co-main tournament, welterweight rankers #13 Robbie Lawler and #14 Neil Magny combined up their grappling with putting within the first around and Magny got here out forward at the exchanges.
Magny saved keep an eye on of Lawler for just about all the moment around, and excelled within the 3rd with much more takedowns and important moves, getting a blank sweep at the rating playing cards. The win offers him the second one maximum in UFC historical past at 17, best in the back of Georges St. Pierre.
Opening up the principle card used to be a featherweight fit between heavy veteran Ricardo Lamas and hungry debutant Invoice Algeo. Lamas introduced the motion proper from the hole bell, however Algeo made a comeback on the finish of the primary around, and it carried him thru the second one. With revel in in the back of him, Lamas applied his wrestling within the 3rd around with huge flooring and pound, and it earned him the unanimous resolution.
Kim Ji-Yeon welcomed Alexa Grasso as much as the flyweight department with a detailed first around of toe-to-toe putting. Grasso’s punching surged forward in the second one around and she or he saved her stride within the 3rd, including in flooring and pound for a decisive unanimous resolution win.
Because of a good COVID-19 take a look at, Ion Cutelaba’s gentle heavyweight bout towards Magomed Ankalaev wasremoved from the cardboard and will probably be rescheduled for a later date.
Previous within the initial card, there have been resolution wins for Zak Cummings and Impa Kasanganay, whilst Mallory Martin, Alex Caceres, Polyana Viana and Sean Brady earned submission wins of their respective bouts.
UFC Vegas Eight Ultimate Effects
1. Gentle Heavyweight bout: Aleksandar Rakic defeated Anthony Smith by means of unanimous resolution
2. Welterweight bout: Neil Magny defeated Robbie Lawler by means of unanimous resolution
3. Girls’s Flyweight bout: Alexa Grasso defeated Ji Yeon Kim by means of unanimous resolution
4. Featherweight bout: Ricardo Lamas defeated Invoice Algeo by means of unanimous resolution
1. Middleweight bout: Impa Kasanganay defeated Maki Pitolo by means of unanimous resolution
2. Girls’s Strawweight bout: Mallory Martin defeated Hannah Cifers by means of second-round submission
3. Middleweight bout: Zak Cummings defeated Alessio Di Chirico by means of unanimous resolution
4. Featherweight bout: Alex Caceres defeated Austin Springer by means of first-round submission
5. Girls’s Flyweight bout: Polyana Viana defeated Emily Whitmire by means of first-round submission
6. Welterweight bout: Sean Brady defeated Christian Aguilera by means of second-round submission