Chicken Pies are feel-good food. This Chicken Pot Pie Recipe is just the thing for rich and flavourful dinner idea. the perfect home-cooked meal for your family. The wine adds an amazing flavor to the pie filling. Using ready-made puff pastry will help you save time.
You can make the whole thing ahead of time and bake it just before serving. A really great idea and time saver, is to make a double portion of the pie filling and then freeze it for when you need a meal in a hurry. You can try tasty variations once you’ve mastered the basics. Not exactly low-fat diet friendly but perfect served with buttery mash and baby peas.
Some Chicken Pie Baking Tips
- You can make the chicken pie ahead of time and bake it just before serving.
- Make a double portion of the pie filling and then freeze it for when you need a meal in a hurry.
- Always have a ready-made roll of puff pastry in the freezer for when you feel like pie.
- be sure to make a few small slits in the top of the pastry so that the steam can escape during the baking time.
- Use left-over chicken or ready-cooked chicken if you want to save time.
- Use vegetables in season as these will be cheaper and readily available.
- Adjust the seasoning in the filling to suit your own taste.
- Wine adds amazing depth to the flavor of the filling so if possible don’t leave it out.
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Ingredients
- olive oil and butter, for frying
- salt and milled pepper
- 500g deboned chicken thighs, diced
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 2 celery sticks, sliced
- 1 packet (250g) white or brown mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup (125ml) white wine
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
- 1 tub (250ml) cream
- 1 small packet (80g) baby spinach, blanched and chopped or frozen vegetable mix
- 1 cup (250ml) fresh or frozen peas
- 1 roll puff pastry, defrosted, divided into 4
- 1 extra-large egg yolk, beaten
Cooking Instructions For Chicken and Mushroom Pot Pies
- Preheat oven to 220 C.
- Heat the oil and butter in pan and lightly saute the seasoned chicken until browned. Remove the cooked chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Fry the leeks, celery and mushrooms until soft but be careful not to brown too much. Add the chopped garlic and fry for another minute.
- Toss in the thyme leaves, wine, chicken stock, cream and browned chicken. Let this simmer for 25 minutes – the liquid should reduced by about half. Stir through wilted spinach and peas.
- Spoon filling into 4 ramekins /small pie dishes and cover each with pastry. Crimp edges with a fork and make a few slits in the pastry to allow steam to escape from the chicken pies while they are baking.
- Brush the tops of the pies with egg yolk and bake for 20 minutes or until the pastry has gone that delicious golden colour.
This Chicken Pot Pie serves 4 people.
Check this Website for More Recipes
Article Source Link