Dehradun is a city located in the Indian state of Uttarakhand, nestled in the foothills of the Himalayas. The city is known for its pleasant climate, beautiful scenery, and its role as a center of education and research, with several well-known institutions located here. Dehradun is also a popular tourist destination, attracting visitors from all over India and abroad who come to explore its natural beauty, cultural heritage, and adventure activities. In this article, we will explore some of the key aspects of Dehradun, including its history, culture, attractions, and more.
Dehradun has been known by several other names in the past. In ancient times, it was known as Kedar Khand, a reference to its location in the region of the same name in the Himalayas. In medieval times, the city was known as Drona Nagari, after the legendary warrior Dronacharya who is said to have lived here. During the British colonial period, Dehradun was known as Dehra, and was an important center of administration and trade. Today, the city is also sometimes referred to as Doon, a shortened version of its name that is popular among locals and visitors alike.
How to Reach Dehradun:
Dehradun is well-connected to other parts of India by air, road, and rail. Here are some of the ways to reach Dehradun:
- By Air: Dehradun has its own airport, Jolly Grant Airport, which is located about 22 km away from the city center. There are regular flights to and from major cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, and Hyderabad.
- By Road: Dehradun is well-connected by road to major cities in North India. The city is located on the National Highway 7, which connects it to Delhi, Agra, and other cities. There are also regular bus services from nearby cities like Haridwar, Rishikesh, and Mussoorie.
- By Rail: Dehradun is connected to major cities in India by rail, with regular trains running to and from cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, and Chennai. The Dehradun Railway Station is located in the heart of the city and is well-connected to other parts of the city by road.
Historical Importance Of Dehradun:
Dehradun has a rich and diverse history. Here are some of the historical importance of Dehradun:
- British Colonial Era: Dehradun was an important city during the British colonial era in India. The British established a cantonment in Dehradun in the early 19th century, and the city became an important center for the British Indian Army.
- Educational Hub: Dehradun has been an important center for education since the colonial era. The city is home to several prestigious schools, including the Doon School, which is considered one of the best schools in India. The city also has several universities, including the Forest Research Institute and the Indian Military Academy.
- Religious Significance: Dehradun has several temples and shrines that hold great religious significance. The Tapkeshwar Temple, for example, is an ancient temple dedicated to Lord Shiva and is believed to be the spot where the sage Dronacharya performed his penance.
- Freedom Struggle: Dehradun was also a center for the Indian independence movement. The city was home to several freedom fighters, including the legendary freedom fighter Chandra Shekhar Azad.
- Natural Beauty: Dehradun is situated in the foothills of the Himalayas, and is known for its natural beauty. The city is surrounded by lush forests, rolling hills, and picturesque valleys, making it a popular destination for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts.
Overall, Dehradun’s rich history and diverse culture make it an important city in India that has contributed to the country’s social, political, and cultural fabric.
Climate Of Dehradun:
Dehradun has a temperate climate, with mild winters and warm summers. The city experiences three distinct seasons – summer, monsoon, and winter.
- Summer: The summer season in Dehradun lasts from March to June, with temperatures ranging from 20°C to 35°C. The weather during this time is warm and pleasant, making it a good time to explore the city’s natural beauty.
- Monsoon: The monsoon season in Dehradun lasts from July to September, with heavy rainfall and occasional thunderstorms. The weather during this time can be unpredictable, but the city’s greenery comes alive during the monsoon season, making it a good time to explore the city’s parks and forests.
- Winter: The winter season in Dehradun lasts from November to February, with temperatures ranging from 5°C to 20°C. The weather during this time is cool and comfortable, with occasional snowfall in the nearby hills. The winter season is a good time to explore the city’s cultural heritage and architecture.
10 Interesting Facts About Dehradun:
- Dehradun is the capital city of the Indian state of Uttarakhand and is situated in the foothills of the Himalayas.
- The name Dehradun is derived from the words “dehra” meaning camp and “dun” meaning valley.
- Dehradun is known for its natural beauty and is often referred to as the “Gateway to Mussoorie” and the “Gateway to Garhwal Himalayas”.
- The city is home to some of the most prestigious educational institutions in India, including the Indian Military Academy, Doon School, Welham Girls’ School, and Welham Boys’ School.
- Dehradun is also known for its Basmati rice, which is considered to be the best in the world.
- The Robber’s Cave, located in the outskirts of the city, is a popular tourist attraction and is believed to have been a hideout for robbers during the British era.
- The Forest Research Institute in Dehradun is one of the oldest and largest institutes of its kind in Asia.
- The city has a rich history, with evidence of human habitation dating back to the Stone Age.
- Dehradun is home to several temples and religious sites, including the Tapkeshwar Temple, Sai Darbar Temple, and Santala Devi Temple.
- The Clock Tower in Dehradun is a prominent landmark of the city and is a popular shopping destination for locals and tourists alike.
10 Places To Visit In Dehradun:
Robber’s Cave: Located in the outskirts of the city, this cave is a popular tourist spot known for its natural beauty and adventurous trekking trails.
- Tapkeshwar Temple: This ancient temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is believed to be one of the oldest in the region.
- Sahastradhara: This natural spring is known for its therapeutic properties and is a popular picnic spot among locals and tourists.
- Forest Research Institute: This institute is one of the oldest and largest forestry research centers in Asia and is known for its beautiful architecture and sprawling campus.
- Mindrolling Monastery: This Tibetan Buddhist monastery is one of the largest in India and is known for its intricate architecture and peaceful surroundings.
- Rajaji National Park: This national park is home to several endangered species of flora and fauna, including the Bengal tiger, Indian elephant, and Himalayan black bear.
- Malsi Deer Park: This zoological park is home to several species of deer and other animals and is a popular spot for family outings.
- Buddha Temple: This temple is located in the Clement Town area of Dehradun and is known for its peaceful ambiance and beautiful architecture.
- Tapovan: This scenic destination is located in the Garhwal region of Dehradun and is known for its natural beauty and trekking trails.
- Clock Tower: This landmark is located in the heart of the city and is a popular shopping destination for locals and tourists.
Cusines And Delicacies Of Dehradun:
Dehradun is famous for its local cuisine which is a blend of Garhwali and Punjabi cuisine. Some popular dishes and delicacies of Dehradun include:
- Kandalee ka Saag: This is a traditional Garhwali dish made with local greens and spices.
- Bal Mithai: This is a popular sweet made with khoya, coated in white sugar balls, and served in a leaf.
- Arsa: This is a traditional Garhwali sweet made with rice flour and jaggery.
- Garhwali Rajma: This is a popular dish made with local kidney beans, tomatoes, and spices.
- Phaanu: This is a traditional Garhwali dal made with mixed lentils and served with steamed rice.
- Chainsoo: This is a traditional Garhwali dal made with black gram and served with steamed rice.
- Kulath ki dal: This is a popular lentil dish made with horse gram and served with steamed rice.
- Aloo ke Gutke: This is a popular Garhwali potato dish made with local spices and served with chapati or rice.
- Momos: This is a popular Tibetan dish that is widely available in Dehradun.
- Lassi: This is a popular yogurt-based drink that is a must-try when in Dehradun.
What to Pack When VIsiting Dehradun:
When packing for a trip to Dehradun, it’s important to consider the weather and the activities you’ll be doing. So, here are a few things to pack:
- Comfortable clothing: Pack comfortable clothes for the daytime as the temperature can get hot during the summer months. You can also pack a light jacket or sweater for cooler evenings.
- Rain gear: If you’re visiting during the monsoon season, make sure to pack a raincoat or umbrella to stay dry.
- Trekking shoes: If you plan on hiking or trekking in the nearby hills, pack a pair of comfortable trekking shoes.
- Sunscreen and sunglasses: Dehradun can get quite sunny, especially during the summer months, so make sure to pack sunscreen and sunglasses to protect yourself from the sun.
- Insect repellent: There can be mosquitoes and other insects in Dehradun, so make sure to pack insect repellent.
- Camera: Dehradun has some beautiful scenic spots, so make sure to pack a camera to capture those moments.
- Medications: If you are on any medication, make sure to pack enough for the duration of your trip.
- Power bank: To keep your mobile phone charged all the time, a power bank can come in handy.
- Hat or cap: To protect yourself from the sun, a hat or cap can be useful.
- Cash and ID: Make sure to carry enough cash and identification documents while exploring Dehradun.
Here are some things to keep in mind when visiting Dehradun:
- Weather: The weather in Dehradun can be unpredictable, so it’s important to pack for all types of weather.
- Altitude: Dehradun is at an altitude of 700 meters, so it’s important to take precautions to avoid altitude sickness, especially if you plan on traveling to higher elevations.
- Local customs: Dehradun is a culturally rich city, so it’s important to be respectful of local customs and traditions.
- Traffic: Dehradun can have heavy traffic, especially during peak hours, so plan your travel accordingly.
- Safety: Dehradun is generally a safe city, but it’s always important to be aware of your surroundings, especially if you’re traveling alone or at night.
- Food and water: Make sure to drink only bottled water and be careful about what you eat to avoid any stomach problems.
- Language: Hindi and English are widely spoken in Dehradun, but it can be helpful to learn a few basic phrases in Hindi.
- Cultural sites: If you plan on visiting cultural or religious sites, dress appropriately and be respectful of local customs and traditions.
- Transportation: Dehradun has a good public transportation system, including buses and taxis, but it’s always good to have a plan in place for getting around.
- Adventure activities: Dehradun is a popular destination for adventure activities such as trekking, camping, and river rafting. Make sure to take the necessary precautions and follow safety guidelines when engaging in these activities.
Activities To Do When In Dehradun:
Dehradun offers a wide variety of activities for visitors. Here are some popular activities to do when in Dehradun:
- Visit the Temples: Dehradun has several temples that are worth visiting, including the Tapkeshwar Temple, the Mindrolling Monastery, and the Sai Darbar Temple.
- Trekking: There are several trekking routes in and around Dehradun that offer breathtaking views of the Himalayas, such as the Nag Tibba trek, Har Ki Dun trek, and the Kuari Pass trek.
- Shopping: Dehradun has several markets where you can shop for traditional handicrafts, clothes, and other souvenirs, such as the Paltan Bazaar, Rajpur Road, and Tibetan Market.
- Adventure sports: Dehradun offers several adventure activities, including rock climbing, river rafting, bungee jumping, and camping.
- Visit Museums: Dehradun has several museums that offer insights into the history and culture of the region, such as the Forest Research Institute Museum, the Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology Museum, and the Indian Military Academy Museum.
- Picnic: There are several parks and picnic spots in Dehradun where you can relax and enjoy the natural beauty of the region, such as the Rajaji National Park, the Robber’s Cave, and the Malsi Deer Park.
- Attend Festivals: Dehradun celebrates several festivals throughout the year, including the Jhanda Fair, the Bikhauti Mela, and the Tapkeshwar Fair. These festivals offer a glimpse into the cultural traditions of the region.
- Visit Hill Stations: Dehradun is located close to several popular hill stations, including Mussoorie, Dhanaulti, and Chakrata, which offer stunning views of the Himalayas and are ideal for a weekend getaway.
- Yoga and Meditation: Dehradun is also known for its yoga and meditation centers, such as the Himalayan Institute of Yoga and the Sivananda Ashram, where you can learn and practice yoga and meditation.
- Food: Dehradun is famous for its street food, including chaat, kachori, and samosas, as well as its traditional dishes like chhole bhature, aloo paratha, and lassi. So, don’t forget to try these delicious delicacies.
10 Hotels To Stay in Dehradun:
Here are ten hotels to consider when staying in Dehradun:
- ITC WelcomHotel The Savoy – This historic hotel is located in the picturesque hills of Mussoorie, just a short drive from Dehradun. It features a range of elegant rooms and suites, as well as an outdoor pool, spa, and multiple dining options.
- Lemon Tree Hotel Dehradun – This contemporary hotel is located in the heart of Dehradun, offering easy access to the city’s attractions. It features modern rooms and suites, a fitness center, and an on-site restaurant.
- Seyfert Sarovar Premiere – This luxurious hotel is situated in the serene outskirts of Dehradun, and features stylish rooms and suites with picturesque views. It also boasts an outdoor pool, spa, and fitness center.
- Four Points by Sheraton – This modern hotel is conveniently located near the city center and the railway station, and offers well-appointed rooms and suites, an outdoor pool, and multiple dining options.
- V One Hotel – This stylish hotel is situated in the heart of Dehradun, and offers comfortable rooms and suites with modern amenities. It also features an on-site restaurant and bar, as well as a fitness center.
- Hotel Madhuban – This elegant hotel is located in a quiet residential area of Dehradun, and offers spacious rooms and suites with traditional decor. It also features a garden, a fitness center, and a restaurant serving Indian and international cuisine.
- The Solitaire Express – This boutique hotel is situated in a peaceful area of Dehradun, and offers stylish rooms and suites with modern amenities. It also features an on-site restaurant and bar, as well as a rooftop terrace.
- Hotel Doon Castle UNA Smart – This affordable hotel is located near the city center, and offers comfortable rooms and suites with basic amenities. It also features an on-site restaurant and a rooftop terrace with panoramic views.
- Hotel Aketa – This tranquil hotel is situated in the outskirts of Dehradun, and features spacious rooms and suites with scenic views. It also boasts an outdoor pool, a spa, and an on-site restaurant serving Indian and Chinese cuisine.
- Hotel Pacific – This contemporary hotel is located in the heart of Dehradun, and offers well-appointed rooms and suites with modern amenities. It also features a fitness center, an on-site restaurant, and a rooftop terrace with views of the city.
10 Dine-In Restaurants In Dehradun:
Here are ten dine-in restaurants in Dehradun that you might enjoy:
- Black Pepper – This multi-cuisine restaurant is located in the heart of Dehradun, and offers a range of Indian, Chinese, and continental dishes. The restaurant has a cozy ambiance and friendly service.
- Orchard – This restaurant is known for its mouth-watering Italian and continental food. The interiors are beautifully designed with rustic elements that create a warm and inviting atmosphere.
- Kalsang AMA Cafe – This cozy cafe serves authentic Tibetan food, and is located in the heart of Dehradun. The restaurant has a relaxed vibe, and is a great place to catch up with friends over a cup of coffee or a plate of momos.
- The Great Indian Pub – This restaurant is a great place to hang out with friends and enjoy delicious food and drinks. The menu includes Indian, Chinese, and Continental dishes, and the restaurant has a lively atmosphere.
- Cafe Marigold – This casual cafe is known for its delicious coffee and baked goods, as well as its selection of Indian and continental dishes. The restaurant has a relaxed vibe, and is a great place to work or catch up with friends.
- Town Table – This restaurant offers a range of Indian and continental dishes, and is known for its lively atmosphere and friendly service. The restaurant has indoor and outdoor seating options, and is a popular spot for family dinners and group outings.
- Caffe 9 – This cozy cafe serves a range of Indian and continental dishes, as well as delicious desserts and coffee. The restaurant has a relaxed ambiance, and is a great place to catch up with friends or work remotely.
- Mussoorie Lights – This rooftop restaurant offers breathtaking views of the city, as well as a range of Indian, Chinese, and continental dishes. The restaurant has a romantic ambiance, and is a popular spot for date nights and special occasions.
- Moti Mahal – This restaurant is known for its delicious North Indian food, including its famous butter chicken. The restaurant has a traditional ambiance, and is a popular spot for family dinners and celebrations.
- Clock Tower Cafe – This charming cafe is located near the iconic Clock Tower in Dehradun, and offers a range of Indian and continental dishes. The restaurant has a laid-back vibe, and is a great place to relax and soak up the local atmosphere.
Schools In Dehradun:
Dehradun is home to several prestigious schools that offer quality education to students. Here are some of the most well-known schools in Dehradun:
- The Doon School: The Doon School is one of the most famous schools in India and is known for its academic excellence and extracurricular activities. The school was founded in 1935 and has a rich history and alumni network.
- Welham Girls’ School: Welham Girls’ School is an all-girls boarding school that was founded in 1957. The school is known for its academic rigor and emphasis on extracurricular activities.
- St. Joseph’s Academy: St. Joseph’s Academy is a co-educational school that was founded in 1934. The school is known for its academic excellence and focus on character development.
- Rashtriya Indian Military College: The Rashtriya Indian Military College is a boys-only school that prepares students for a career in the armed forces. The school is known for its rigorous academic program and military training.
- Army Public School: The Army Public School in Dehradun is a co-educational school that is run by the Indian Army. The school is known for its academic excellence and focus on discipline and character development.
- Ecole Globale International Girls’ School: The Ecole Globale International Girls’ School is an all-girls boarding school that offers a rigorous academic program and a range of extracurricular activities.
- Convent of Jesus and Mary: The Convent of Jesus and Mary is a girls-only school that was founded in 1901. The school is known for its academic excellence and emphasis on character development.
- Mussoorie International School: The Mussoorie International School is a co-educational boarding school that is located in the nearby town of Mussoorie. The school offers a rigorous academic program and a range of extracurricular activities.
Overall, Dehradun is known for its quality education and excellent schools, making it a popular destination for students and parents seeking a high-quality education,
Colleges In Dehradun:
Dehradun is home to several prestigious colleges and universities that offer a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs in various disciplines. Here are some of the most well-known colleges in Dehradun:
- Forest Research Institute (FRI): The Forest Research Institute is a premier institution for forestry research and education in India. The institute offers undergraduate and graduate programs in forestry, wildlife, and related fields.
- University of Petroleum and Energy Studies (UPES): The University of Petroleum and Energy Studies is a private university that offers undergraduate and graduate programs in energy, infrastructure, transportation, and other related fields.
- Indian Institute of Petroleum (IIP): The Indian Institute of Petroleum is a national-level research and development institute that offers undergraduate and graduate programs in chemical engineering, petrochemicals, and related fields.
- Uttaranchal University: Uttaranchal University is a private university that offers undergraduate and graduate programs in engineering, management, law, pharmacy, and other fields.
- DIT University: DIT University is a private university that offers undergraduate and graduate programs in engineering, management, architecture, computer applications, and other fields.
- Graphic Era University: Graphic Era University is a private university that offers undergraduate and graduate programs in engineering, management, computer applications, and other fields.
- Quantum University: Quantum University is a private university that offers undergraduate and graduate programs in engineering, management, law, journalism, and other fields.
- Institute of Management Studies (IMS): The Institute of Management Studies is a private business school that offers undergraduate and graduate programs in management, accounting, and other related fields.
Overall, Dehradun is known for its excellent colleges and universities, making it a popular destination for students seeking quality education in various fields.
Art And Culture Of Dehradun:
Dehradun has a rich cultural heritage and is known for its traditional art and craft forms. Here are some of the most popular art and culture forms of Dehradun:
- Pahari Painting: Pahari painting is a traditional art form that originated in the hilly regions of North India, including Dehradun. These paintings are known for their vibrant colors, intricate designs, and depictions of nature and mythology.
- Basohli Painting: Basohli painting is another traditional art form that originated in the hilly regions of North India. The paintings are known for their bold and bright colors, intricate details, and depictions of gods and goddesses.
- Garhwali Folk Music: Garhwali folk music is a traditional form of music that is popular in Dehradun and the surrounding regions. The music is known for its soothing melodies and lyrics that often depict the region’s natural beauty and cultural heritage.
- Garhwali Folk Dance: Garhwali folk dance is a traditional dance form that is popular in Dehradun and the surrounding regions. The dance is known for its lively movements, colorful costumes, and rhythmic beats.
- Handicrafts: Dehradun is also known for its traditional handicrafts, including wood carvings, hand-woven carpets, and embroidered shawls. These handicrafts are popular among tourists and are often sold at local markets.
- Literature: Dehradun has a rich literary tradition and has produced several famous writers and poets. The region’s literature often depicts its natural beauty, cultural heritage, and social issues.
Overall, Dehradun’s art and culture form an essential part of its identity and are a source of pride for its residents. The region’s traditional art forms, music, dance, handicrafts, and literature continue to thrive and attract visitors from all over the world.
In conclusion, Dehradun is a beautiful city located in the foothills of the Himalayas. It is known for its natural beauty, pleasant climate, rich cultural heritage, and excellent educational institutions. Whether you are a nature lover, history buff, or seeking quality education, Dehradun has something to offer everyone. The city’s art and culture, traditional handicrafts, literature, music, and dance are a testament to its unique identity and rich heritage. Overall, Dehradun is a must-visit destination that offers a perfect blend of nature, culture, and education.